Winter is coming! Okay, maybe not yet, but it’s never too early to begin preparing your pool for the winter hiatus. If you live in an area with freezing weather, this article is for you!
One of the most important steps to closing your pool for winter is to clear the plumbing lines. Water expands as it freezes and turns into ice, which can crack your pool’s plumbing. This can pose major problems when you go to open your pool next spring.
Air Supply’s Cyclone Liner-Vac is the perfect product to clear out your pool’s plumbing. This vac hooks up to the plumbing lines and blows all the remaining water back into your pool. The Cyclone will blow out the suction-side and pressure-side of a pool, including all the return valves.
Here is how it works:
- First, you’ll want to lower the water level a few inches below the skimmer opening and any return openings.
- Remove all return valve fittings and Skimmer Baskets.
- Plug the unit into an electric outlet, then insert it into the return plumbing. This plumbing line will need to be disconnected from your filter system.
- Turn on the Cyclone Vac and watch the water blow out of the return valves.
- After the water turns to fine mist, you can insert a Valve Plug in the return fitting. Your pool will have multiple return fittings, so remember to plug each one.
- Then, insert the blower into the skimmer’s plumbing line. Again you will need to detach this pipe from the filter system.
- After blowing all of the water out of the skimmer, you can insert a Skimmer Plug for the winter. This plug will protect the lines from water and potential ice expansion. Make sure to choose the right size for the height of your skimmer.
- If your pool has a main drain, blow out the this line to ‘bubble’ the main drain and then close it off.
- Add Swimming Pool Antifreeze to your pool’s plumbing and equipment, if necessary. Always follow the manufacturer’s recommendations for your system.
- When all of these steps are complete, it’s time to cover your pool with either a Safety Cover or Winter Cover.
Cyclone Air Vac Features:
- The Cyclone Liner Vac plugs into a standard 3-pronged electrical outlet.
- This unit includes includes a 3.0 hp motor.
- It doubles as a tool to install above ground pool liner or to suck back the liner on a cold spring day.
- There is a 1.5” threaded outlet that can accommodate a variety of PVC fittings, including a 1.5” threaded hose adapter.
- We recommend purchasing a 3’ – 1 ½” Hose for easy maintenance.
Don’t wait until it’s too late – begin preparing today!
For additional information on winterizing your pool you can also visit our WINTERIZING page and the blog link below!